Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Bedtime



Being a single parent is ALOT of work.

Last night I was working until 2:30am. Combine this with the fact that two little children ended up in my bed and I got up at 6:30~ well, lets just say that I have angry eyebrows today.

The day did not go all poorly though. In fact I have realized that as long as we have family prayer and scripture in the morning than my angry eyebrows at least furrow less.

The true problem comes at bedtime.

While I am left longing for the comfort of my toasty warm electric blanketed bed... my children fight sleep with every tactic that their little minds can conjur.

Isaac "Mom, I have to do my homework!"
Seth "I can smell oranges... it's making me hungry."
Eli "I want to snuggle with you."
Sophie "I have to do my barbie's hair."

These of course are met with screaming, whining and crying after the mean Mom tells them "No" with a desperate plea in her voice.

While I commend their creativity... all I really want is for them to fall into fitfull slumber so that I can take a nice long shower without the sound of "MOM" being yelled from the doorway followed by a nice~ long~ uninterrupted nap.

Sometimes I think how nice it might be to fall into a coma. Just a small one. Where I could be fed by an IV and just sleep for a week or so. I realize that there would be a downside to this... but right now... it just looks lovely. I guess instead I could opt for a decent man that would be willing to manage the household, keeping everything tidy and in order while feeding the children and getting them to their appropriate appointments on time, while I take a much needed respite. Truly, I think a coma is more likely than the latter.

I love my children~ but they really need to learn to appreciate sleep a little bit more.

1 comment:

  1. I'm not a true single parent at all, but I have a little bit of appreciation of what you do. I'm alone all week, I feel like I'm falling apart. I couldn't even think about work too.

    You are really great. You will make it through this.

    Sorry I haven't commented much. Your blog won't update on my sidebar for some reason. Pain. I will have to just check everyday. :)

    Thanks for your sweet comments too. I really love them.

    ReplyDelete