Thursday, October 22, 2009

and so begins.... Halloween

I love how Halloween never stays just to the 31st. The festivities always inevitably start a few weeks before. This gives us a good opportunity to break in our costumes, change our minds, get new costumes... You get the idea.

Seth has decided that he MUST be Harry Potter. Despite my efforts to persuade him otherwise. He is about 3 yrs. behind on the whole Harry Potter costume phase and they just don't have anything for a quick costume at the store.

So, today, I made a wizards robe and a few adorning accessories.

I have owned a sewing machine for several years. I remember the day that it was bought for me~ from Sears and sadly... I remember every thing that I have ever made on it.

There is one thing for certain. My sewing machine may spend most of it's sad existence in the closet, but it shines during Halloween EVERY YEAR!

Today, I brought out the ole' sewing machine. Dusted it off, happy to see that the bobbin and the thread was black (from last Halloween) and was ready to go!

I used some red ribbon that I used on one of Sophie's dresses, gold fabric from a table cloth, a brown scarf and black fabric that I spent $7.00 on. Seth was at school so Sophie acted as my model and she enjoyed watching me sew saying, "when I am a Mom, I will sew too!" Hopefully she will sew a bit more than I do!

In the end it turned out fairly decent. Anyone who is a seamstress will surely scoff at my stitching but it's okay~ Seth was in Harry Potter heaven!!
There will be no changing his mind!
Sophie and Isaac's costumes go together.
Our version of "Gone with the Wind" Scarlett & Rhett.
Isaac will even say... "Frankly my dear, I don't give a darn."Eli was a dragon, but if I can find the rest of my Halloween stuff... I know he would prefer to be Thomas the Tank Engine.

4 comments:

  1. Jenny, your blog is so fun and the kids look great! And I'm afraid the Harry Potter thing is my fault... I told Seth he would make a great Harry Potter for Halloween, he would run around saying the Patronus charm. :0) His cape looks awesome! And you have a lot more skills than I do with a sewing machine... all I can do is crochet and cross stitch.

    ~Emily

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jen, I think you did a superior job. You NAILED that Harry Potter costume. And I am sure that Seth will wear it with pride. Several years ago when the new (and so bad it was scary) Star Wars was released Shawn fell in love with Liam Neeson's character Qui Gon Jin. I made him a complete set of Jedi robes including the under tunic. It turned out so well and Shawn absolutely loved it. The thing is I cut several corners while making it figuring it was just a costume. But it looked great anyway. Shawn lived in that thing for the next couple of years. Then one day he suddenly decided that he was done with it, and has never worn it since.
    I think Seth looks quite dashing in his HP costume and you are a wonderful mom to make it for him. So sit back and take pride in a job well done and enjoy Seth's enjoyment of it. Sadly it's time will most likely be up one day just like Shawn with his jedi robes. So until that happens you go ahead and pat yourself on the back for every ounce of enjoyment Seth gets from wearing it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Guess what?! Lorelai is dressing up as Hermione for Halloween! Our two would make the perfect pair!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh~ how funny is that! and thanks for the compliments Susan. Seth has tried wearing it to school :)

    ReplyDelete