Saturday, September 18, 2010

From an aspie...

Someone once told me that my Seth would never be able to live a fulfilling sucessful life. I disagreed wholeheartedly. They didn't know or understand my Seth. Today, I came across this. Which is written by an aspie and sums it up completly.

This “In Their Own Words,” is written by Aaron Likens from St. Louis, Mo. Likens is the author of “Finding Kansas: Decoding the Enigma of Asperger’s Syndrome.”
"I dream what everyone else dreams about. I want to have a full, productive life. I want a family, a career, and the ability to live my life to the fullest. Some people seem to think that an autism label is the end and that to dream such things is a waste of time. No dream and no person is a waste of time. Yes, we may need to work harder at some things, but if we’re not given a chance then how can we succeed? There is so much potential in a mind on the spectrum, but if not given the chance how can one dream of the things that I dream about?"

2 comments:

  1. I'm shocked by this post! Whoever told you that Seth would never be able to live a fulfilling successful life is ignorant. I know I'm preaching to the choir. I just can't believe someone would think that. My favorite part of Aaron's quote is "No dream and no person is a waste of time." Hold on to that!

    ReplyDelete