Thursday, August 27, 2009

The connection...

My niece is 14 years old now. She was born on my sixteenth birthday. I made my own birthday cake, blew out the candles and excitedly raced to the hospital to meet the newest member of our family.
Since that time, Kendall and I have created a special connection. The kind you find on made for t.v. movies when the crazy aunt lets loose with her niece who comes to live with her for the summer. While Kendall has never stayed the summer, we have shared plenty of fun, let loose, crazy moments. I recall her as a toddler with her wiley curls! I remember when she first learned to say "truck" because that is what I drove... although it did not come out as "truck" and I ended up in a lot of trouble from my Grandma. I remember when I taught her to say "pick-up" instead. I remember when she turned to me for a shoulder to cry on when things were too hard at school and when she was disappointed in the consequences at home.
I hope that she will always be able to turn to me. I hope I can always be the crazy, fun aunt to her. Mostly, I hope that I never disappoint her.


2 comments:

  1. I would say that a new niece is the perfect 16th birthday present!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The neatest part is that we not only share a birthday with each other, but her little brother (my nephew) was born on the same day a year ago. It is a very good day to be born!

    ReplyDelete