Wednesday, May 27, 2009

write


write
Originally uploaded by the trial

I really love writing. It seems like in this day, typing has taken over the almighty pen and pencil. For me, their is something euphoric that comes along with the smell of a fresh pack of paper and I absolutely love the sound that a good number two pencil makes when writing on a crisp paper.

My grandma used to make me practice my handwriting everyday after school. Cursive to be exact. She said that the art of handwriting is not taught properly in school anymore. I agree. I very rarely write with paper and pencil anymore except for the sheer pleasure of it.

It all made me think of the book of Ether where Moroni speaks about how his weakness is in writing. "And thou hast made us that we could write but little, because of the awkwardness of our hands" and he was afraid of ridicule from the Gentiles... unto which the Lord replied "Fools mock, but they shall mourn; and my grace is sufficient for the meek, that they shall take no advantage of your weakness;" The Lord then goes on saying that if men come unto him he shall show them their weaknesses and that their weaknesses made be made strong through him.

Now tell me this, when you think of Moroni- Do you think of how poorly he wrote? I think not.

2 comments:

  1. Great post!

    I did a post a year or so ago about my handwriting and about how sloppy it had become. I too mentioned my grandmother and her beautiful penmanship. She said the exact same thing as your grandmother...that it isn't taught in the schools anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sadly it is true. I spoke with my sons OT person at the school the other week and she told me that they are going to start training him on the keyboard. He has a really hard time writing. She said that with the way technology is going, he won't really utilize writing anyways except to jot down an occasional signature. I think it is sad.

    ReplyDelete