Monday, October 1, 2018

Missionary Moments

This is my son Seth. Seth is amazing. He is charming and funny. He works hard and has overcome a lot of hard things in life. I love him lots!

Seth has Asperger's- a form of high-functioning Autism. Throughout the years we have learned and grown along with Seth to figure out how Seth works- how he processes the world and see's things just a little bit differently than the rest of us. It has been an enlightening process. He is a joy to have in our family and we love having his spirit in our home.

6 months ago-  just before Seth's graduation, we were meeting with the Bishop and trying to determine what type of mission Seth could serve. Would it be a local service mission? or could it possibly be something more? As his mother, I have dreamed of the wonderful things my son would become and the things that he would do... but as his world unfolded around us -- there are some things I placed on hold as far as expectations because they just might not fit into Seth's box. I could not imagine the miracles that would soon occur.

After meeting with the Bishop and the Stake president- It was determined that Seth would be a better fit for a local service mission as opposed to a 2 year mission. So we went about filling out the proper paperwork for a local mission. In the process it asked about Seth's skills and his strengths. I filled out the information the best I could and went on my way.

Shortly after filling out the application I got a call from my Bishop. He had just received a call from Salt Lake City. They considered Seth to be a perfect candidate for the Salt Lake City Church Headquarters Mission! A full two-year service mission! My heart skipped a beat!

It has been a lengthy process. We had to go in and fill out the full paperwork for a mission. After that we met with a counselor at LDS Family Services to determine if Seth would be capable of serving this mission. -- And then we waited-- for a long time. Seth is still waiting but we hear his official call will be sent via email shortly after general conference. Since some changes are being made, instead of coming from the Stake Office- his call will be coming from the Prophet.

We do know through through the Stake Office that he will be leaving soon and we are frantically getting things put together... and this momma is trying not to freak out. I can testify to you that the Spirit is guiding us every little step of the way... even with things that shouldn't be a big deal but will certainly help out in the end. For example- I went shopping Saturday to pick out some pants for Seth. He needs 4 pairs of dress slacks and he currently has 2. So I happened to catch a sale. I threw some in the cart I thought were his size and forgot about it because I was shopping for the other kids as well. While standing in the check out line I suddenly knew I had the wrong size. "You need a size bigger." I, of course, looked at the line- at my kids and at the baby fussing and thought-- nah. It'll be fine. Pretty sure this is the right size. The prompting came again- only louder. Go get a size bigger! After arguing with myself for a bit I told the other kids to watch the baby as I ran back and exchanged the 2 pair I had picked out for 2 larger sized pair.This shouldn't matter - it's a tiny thing. Sure enough, when I got home and had Seth try those pants on they were a perfect fit. The other pants would have been way too small and me being a working mom would have had no time to take those pants back! The Lord watches out for us in ways we don't even notice... in tiny things that we don't think even matter... he takes care of us because he loves us and knows that even a tiny trip to the store means valuable time wasted that could be spent elsewhere! What an amazing thing!

No comments:

Post a Comment